15 October, 2006

I am the worst gay man in the world

So, last night, I went out clubbing with some friends. I went with this guy (his boyfriend hates the clubs) and a girl (her husband and the guy's boyfriend went to the game). It was fun and I got a chance to get my white-boy-funk on.

About halfway through the night, we met a friend of the guy we went with. He was cool and we all talked for a while. (as much as you can talk in a club) Later in the night, the girl mentioned her "husband". The friend immediately looked at me and said "so, you're her husband?"

Fuck. I'm dancing in a gay club, all dressed-up in my best clubbing outfit (yes, there are separate wardrobes for going out on the town), and some people still think I'm straight. Next time I'm wearing a sign...

While that makes for a decent anecdote, it wasn't really that bad. I've heard from several other guys that I show up as very low-visibility on gaydar. I'm accustomed to it. (an ex actually made a Freudian slip once and called me "straight")

It wasn't a complete wash. I got lots of looks and definately wouldn't have had to go home alone--if I was into picking people up from clubs.

2 comments:

Candice said...

Go white boy, go white boy....

cyclefreaks said...

Hey, I'll get you a song list as soon as my head is clear. :) Cory & I are both home sick.