12 July, 2007

South Fork, CO

Sorry, there's not been much blogged lately. That doesn't mean nothing is happening--quite the opposite. In the past 30 days, I've flown or driven over 12,000 miles. From 500 kts in a Boeing A330 over the Atlantic to 3 mph in a 4-wheeler over the Rocky Mountains. 3 countries, 4 states and 2 different birthday parties in-between.

So, I spent last week in South Fork, CO. My Dad's side of the family has a cabin there and so we loaded-up about half a dozen 4-wheelers and drove up.


I spent several summer vacations exploring the Rockies when I was young. Like many times in the past, Dad and I drove straight through the night. At one point, I slipped-off to sleep and awoke when he pulled into a gas station. As I opened the truck door, the crisp, pure scent of mountain pine hit me and I was instantly 12 again.


We spent the next 5 days waking-up just after dawn and having breakfast at the diner in town. Then we'd all gather supplies for the day and head out for a new trail. The weather was perfect. I'd forgotten what absolutely clean air felt like to breathe.


It definately wasn't a normal week for me.

3 comments:

Mark said...

The locale looks amazing. I wish Dallas was in a setting like that...

Skept said...

makes you want to move to colorado, eh?

cyclefreaks said...

One of these days, I'm going to Colorado. I want to breathe clean air.