13 May, 2007

Pilot's Log : Hours 26.8 - 30.0

Damn, still not much going on here. Changing CFI's, travel, conflicting schedules... I'm not getting as much done here as I want. My CFI wants me to take the written exam and I've barely started studying. That's probably what this next week will be dedicated to.

Well, this entry encompasses 3 flights: 2 solos and 1 more instruction.

The 2 solos were okay, but didn't feel "right". I think it was because I wasn't sure what I was supposed to be practicing. And on the last flight, I found a wasp in the cabin right before I took off. Good thing I did--I'd had to find him during flight...

The last instruction I had was fun, tho. We got to train on some fun stuff: simulated instrument failure and recovery from unusual attitudes. The first one is exactly what it sounds like. He put post-it notes on some of the instruments to simulate failure and taught me how to compensate with the others. Without an altitude indicator, I was able to fly and maneuver for about 5-10 minutes and only climbed ~200 feet. My CFI acted impressed.

The other training was even more fun. The idea is that you need to know how to recover the plane quickly from unusual attitudes. (i.e. get stuck upside-down in clouds and such)

He has me put on that hood that doesn't let me see outside the plane. Then I have to close my eyes. The CFI then twists, turns and flips the plane until my internal gyro doesn't know which way is up. Just then he says "the plane is yours" and within about 2 seconds I have to scan the instrument panel, figure out how the plane is oriented and start the procedure to correct to straight-and-level flight. Good times.

No comments: