16 February, 2009

Food

Goddangit. (as Bloyd would say)

In an attempt to try and spend less money on eating out and trying to get better food into my system, I've seemed to slip beyond just eating at home and fallen directly into obsessing about cooking.

I blame Alton Brown. Now I can't imagine cooking with table salt--kosher salt is the only thing allowed. I've already bought more items from the produce department in the last two months than all last year. I've even started buying hardware at a restaurant supply store. (hey, stuff is a heck of a lot cheaper there than anywhere else)

I've managed to meet one of my goals--I'm definitely eating better foods. And I can really feel it. I've got more energy, I'm more alert and it's much easier to maintain my weight.

But not so much on the other goal. I *could* definitely eat (and eat well) on less than what I used to spend on burgers every night, but I'm not doing that right now. Like tonight--I spent an extra couple of bucks buying a brick of real parmesan cheese and threw away that pre-shredded stuff in the can. It's good, but it ain't cheap.

So, here's tonight's dinner. Risotto. Oh man, talk about rich and creamy. Add a few peas and prosciutto and a few glasses of wine. I'm happy.

5 comments:

Mark said...

Do I really say Goddangit a lot?

Skept said...

yes

cyclefreaks said...

Yes.

And Kosher is that much better huh? I'm with you on the parm...

greenGuru said...

I think it is. But don't take my word for it. The stuff is like $1.75 at the grocery store. Give it a shot and let me know what you think.

cyclefreaks said...

I'll tell the chef. :)