20 August, 2006

Ethical Dilemma

Ok, so everyone knows I'm an iPod junkie. Lately, it's been podcasts. I get all of my NPR-goodness when and where I want it. But that means that I've been missing music. I've got quite a bit of music on the iPod, but it's mostly the same crap I've been listening to for years.

I really support the idea of the iTunes music store--electronic delivery of exactly what content you want, and you own it. No subscriptions. My gripe is that even though it's generally cheaper than buying CD's, you still pay $.99 per song.

Now, don't get me wrong--I think that's a good deal. If it's good music, I don't have a problem shelling out that kind of money. My problem is that I don't get to explore new music that way. And since everyone else I know around here is digital as well, "CD swapping" just doesn't happen anymore.

My boss at work has been bugging me to use AllOfMP3.com. If you haven't heard of this before, here's the story: it's a Russia-based online music store. It's been around for a while and is only second in online music sales to the iTunes music store. And it's f'in cheap. You can buy a whole CD for less than $2.50. So, by now I'm sure you've guessed the problem--they don't pay anyone for selling their music.

It's currently not illegal in Russia to resell copyrighted music without compensating the artist. Ok, it's under debate if it's 100% legal in Russia and they are trying to pass legislation that would close that loophole. And since it's currently legal in Russia, you can buy it here legally. (ok, this is really treacherous legal water all around, but it's not blatently illegal like Napster)

So, knowing that I probably never would have taken the chance and bought those Van Morrison MP3's from iTunes, is it wrong that I bought them from this Russian site? By the end of my spending-spree yesterday, I'd bought 68 songs and spent less than $10.

P.S. Van Morrison kicks f'in ass!
P.P.S. Don't go to this site unless you are ready to spend money there--it's addictive! I bought 4 CD's there in less than about 5 minutes. The last time I bought 4 CD's at one sitting was in college...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the site, man.

Do I have guilt for this? no. You know why? because a cd never should have cost $16.99+ in a record store. that's probably a 600 percent mark up or more. So screw them. They shouldn't have been greedy.

greenGuru said...

Yeah, I think everyone agrees that the record companies screw us on the cost of a CD, but here you are punishing the artists as well...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I didn't buy anything. That T.o.S. agreement scared me. lol.

greenGuru said...

Your call. At least my iPod will be full of sweet music to make my jail term seem shorter... ;)

Anonymous said...

Bad news: No iPods in prison. (insert random bs about security risk, and high value personal belongings amongst criminals)

Worse news: little personal radios do not get good reception of NPR while in the joint. At least, at my current place.

Candice said...

How is that not stealing?

greenGuru said...

Well, you see, it's a legal and ethical fine line that you have to... Hey! Is that a really cute puppy over there?

Candice said...

Lol, damn, that was so wrong but too funny.

Candice said...

Dude, you are already fired from the blog. You haven't posted in forever!