06 January, 2007

Pilot's Log : Hour 2.5 - 3.5

[Editorial Note: It appears that you are going to be subjected to an hour-by-hour recounting of my training.  Not much else is going on in my life while I do this, and by writing it out, I remember it better.]

Training continues.  It's still in the very early stages, but it feels like I've been flying for a while.  I'm starting to become more comfortable in an airplane.  (actually, I'm just a little less than totally scared-shitless, so relatively-speaking, that's "more comfortable")

We spend this hour circling the airport and doing touch-and-go's.  Literally.  Just taking off, circling and landing.  After a full hour of this, I think there's one or two things I'm doing right.  (but only one or two)

Everything is still incredibly difficult for me.  I still have to think about what I need to do, determine if I need to do it now, determine if I *can* do it now and then figure out how the hell to do it.  Sounds strange, right?  Let me give you an example.

The following is how I take off and approximately 30-45 seconds after that:  (I'm doing this from memory, so I might be completely wrong)

1) On the runway, at a full stop, apply full throttle and release the brakes

2) The airplane will try to go left off the runway, so give it just enough right rudder to keep it centered

3) At 56 knots, pull back and leave the ground (which my instructor calls "rotating" for some strange reason)

4) Pitch up so that we climb at 75 kts.  (however, the airspeed indicator is delayed, so I have to visually estimate my climb angle)

5) Trim the elevator so I don't have to keep so much pressure on the stick.

6) While climbing, I need to maintain just enough right rudder to keep the turn indicator showing that I'm not slipping.  (or what is called "stepping on the ball")

7) When I reach 800 ft, pitch for a 20 degree left turn to 90 degrees off the runway

8) While turning, key the mike and say "West Houston Airport, this is Skyhawk six-two-four-tango-alpha turning left crosswind one-five, West Houston".

9) By the time I'm done saying that, I've almost reached 1,100 ft--the pattern altitude.  I need to start leveling off at about 1,000 ft.

10) Re-trim the plane for level flight

11) Pull the throttle back for 1,200 rpm

12) By the time I've done that, it's time for another 20 degree turn to 80-85 degrees left.  This will put me nearly, but not completely, parallel to the runway.

13) Key the mike and say "West Houston Airport, this is Skyhawk six-two-four-tango-alpha left downwind of one-five, West Houston"

So, there you have it, that's the first half of a takeoff and touch-and-go.  Re-reading it, that doesn't sound too bad.  But it's happening all at the same time.  And I don't do everything in order.  It's more likely that I'm doing #6, #8, #9 and #12 all at the exact same time.  In those first few seconds of flight, I'm using 4 separate flight controls to coordinate 5 separate indicators and trying to figure out visually if I'm doing it right.  (all while I'm listening to my instructor telling me what I've forgotten or missed or done wrong)

The bad part is that's the easy half.  Although all of that happens in the first 30 seconds or so, it's still easy compared to the last half.

1 comment:

Okjerm said...

"3) At 56 knots, pull back and leave the ground (which my instructor calls "rotating" for some strange reason"

We called it rotation in the Air Force as well. It's easier to understand if you sit and watch heavies take off from along side the runway. You can then see the rotation of the plane.