07 February, 2007

Pilot's Log : Hours 7.3 - 8.8

Better and better.

Today we learned about "ground reference maneuvers". This is where I fly around things on the ground in certain patterns. (rectangles, loops, 8's) In addition to other things, this teaches me how to fly "outside" the cockpit--don't spend all of my time watching the instruments. (I have a problem with that) It also teaches me how to feel for the right wind corrections. I didn't do too badly here, but I was able to hold my altitude (something else I've had a real problem with) with almost no conscious effort.

He also started me on emergency procedures. While we were flying back to the airport, my CFI randomly reached over and cut my throttle to idle and said "you engine just died--what are you going to do?" In my standard foot-in-mouth way, I explained exactly every step I would do, but didn't actually do a damn thing. After a few seconds of listening to me, he asked if I was actually going to land the plane or keep explaining while we crashed... Oh well, I'll get to practice that a lot more.

My big accomplishment was that I got to do some landings. I'd already landed 18 times (yes, they keep count), and was starting to understand what I was doing. This time, my CFI let me land with minimal instruction. I got in a total of 5 landings and he seemed somewhat pleased with my improvements. My big problem is that last 10 feet. I can do everything else, but actually putting the wheels on the ground is something that's taking me a bit. Let's just say my landings are "rough". I've made it every time and haven't freaked-out the instructor, but I've still got some learning to do.

2 comments:

Skept said...

I am reading these posts, by the way. Just so you don't think you're posting to the ether.

Candice said...

I am proud of you, even if I'm too chicken to go up in a plane that small.