16 April, 2007

Fun For Everyone

It’s been a while since I’ve blogged about my Crohn’s because not much has been happening. My doctor and I have found a good medication routine that seems to work well for me. But some Crohn’s-related stuff has been going on lately, so I thought I’d share.

It’s all in the genes

According to Reuters, scientists are starting to release findings showing that they think they have isolated some of the genetic component to Crohn’s. That doesn’t mean a cure is forthcoming, but the first step in curing a disease is to understand what causes it. This is great news for us afflicted. First, Crohn’s doesn’t get a lot of press time because it’s fairly rare and let’s face it, it’s not exactly pleasant dinner conversation…

But this is also heartening to see visible results from ongoing research. Very little is known about the cause of Crohn’s—outside of this research very little is known about the cause than wasn't known 25 years ago.

Hopefully this will eventually lead to better understanding and better treatments. While I’m forever grateful for the medications I get, they do seem a bit dodgy. Controlling my disease by suppressing my immune system isn’t an ideal treatment and surely not without its long-term effects.

So, “way to go, scientists!” I’ll try to remember not to kick sand on you at the beach.

Smores

I haven’t said anything about this yet because it’s far from final, but since we are on the topic… Every year in a few locations around the US, the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) puts on a summer camp for kids with Crohn’s and/or Colitis. Some of these kids have a hard time getting out much and don’t normally have people around them that understand what they are going through.

So, for a few days they get to go to camp like all the other kids and be surrounded by people who know what it’s like--people they can talk to about it and not be embarrassed. And for some kids with IBD, this is their only chance to actually camp out in the woods--this isn't an outdoor-friendly disease. (and you thought that you had a tough childhood)

I’m trying to get on as a volunteer camp counselor at the camp here in Texas. I’m not sure if it will happen yet, but it would be really cool.

1 comment:

Candice said...

I think you would make a great camp counselor!

I know I always hate it when you have a bad Crohn's day, even more so when it's your birthday, so I'm glad to hear the meds are helping.