12 January, 2008

Weekend Recap

I don't think I mentioned this on the blog yet, but I got the HD-DVD player for the 360 as a Christmas gift. Very cool, but kinda sucks since the last couple of weeks have indicated that HD DVD is on its way out. But, while I have it, I've been enjoying NetFlix's HD DVD selection. In the last 2 weeks, I've managed to watch:
  • Transformers (Kinda cool, kinda sucked--don't try to bring the funny if that's the best your writers can do. And the plot holes were big enough to drive Optimus Prime through.)

  • AvP (Micah has been bugging me to watch this. It made a good mindless action flick)

  • Knocked Up (Not bad, but not worth the hype.)

  • Constatine (Unexpectedly kick-ass little flick--bought it off Amazon after watching)

  • Brokeback Mountain (Cheap find on eBay. Damn, that's a gorgeous movie in HD)


In-between movie watching and reconfiguring my finances after the credit card problem, I've been trying to focus on my '08 goals--especially my overall focus of January: simplify. I need to remove the day-to-day and week-to-week obstacles to me getting what I want.


Towards that goal, I've unplugged the DVR and will be turning off my cable next week. There's hardly ever anything on that I want to watch. And when I do find something I kinda want to watch, I almost always wish I'd spent that time doing something else. The few shows I really want to watch (Lost, House) I can download off the Internet an hour after they are broadcast. And with the Media Center PC hooked-up to the TV, I don't think I'll miss cable. (and I'll have an extra $50 every month in my pocket)


But I've never been very good at focusing on anything for very long. That means that month-long goals are easily forgotten and replaced by those day-to-day obstacles I'm trying to remove. So I found a little tool to remind me and help me keep track of how I'm doing.



It's a little 3x5 card I found the template for and customized it with my own goals. I have a new one each week and I can even "keep score" on the back. But the real motivation is that it fits in my back pocket. So, several times a day, I'm reminded of my goals and what I do/don't want to accomplish.


And, on this one, you can see that I've filled in a couple of bubbles for today. (Saturday) That reflects one small change in mindset I made this year. I consider the week to start on Saturday--not Monday. All of my calendars have been updated to reflect this.


That means (even if subconsciously) I percieve Saturday and Sunday as the launching-pad for the week. I set goals and have 2 full days away from work to get as much done as I want. That seems to be more healthy than looking at the weekend as the end of the week and the "last chance" to get something done that you've put off the first part of the week.

4 comments:

Candice said...

Wow, and I thought I was a planner. Damn dude.

cyclefreaks said...

Dude is right. I think your goal for 2008 should be a) relax more and b) quit smoking. But that's just me. :)

Okjerm said...

You just made my head hurt. One-two punch-style. First you're turning off cable. Then the whole scantron, keeping track of goals thing.

Angie said...

I think your motivation is incredibly encouraging. If I tried the Scantron goal-tracker thing, it might last about 27 minutes. Then I'd promptly forget I had it until one of my kids dug it up and started coloring on it.

So I think what you're doing is inspiring. Keep it up!