01 October, 2008

Probably. Maybe. We mostly think so.

Ok, so here's the slightly more detailed version of the previous post...

They *think* I'm cancer-free. Up until this point, I've been a textbook case of testicular cancer. My blood work, treatment and recovery has been exactly as the doctors have learned to expect after successfully treating thousands of cases of my cancer.

Where I diverged from being a typical case is my AFP count. If you remember, that's the protein they use to diagnose how much cancer is in my system.

In a typical adult, there is 0 to 5 ng/mL of AFP found. When I started all of this, my count was just under 1,000. But ever since round 2 of chemo, it's been floating around 10 ng/mL.

Normally this indicates that there is still some active cancer left. However, since that number hasn't moved during the last two rounds of chemo and the biopsy from surgery showed that the thing they removed from my lymph node was a mature teratoma (most likely benign), my oncologist believes that the slightly elevated AFP is normal for me. (much like someone who naturally has low blood pressure or has a normal internal body temperature lower than 98.6)

There is also a slight chance that my Crohn's is causing the extra AFP to be produced. It's been shown that Colitis (a very similar condition) can cause this.

So, the end result is this: they are pretty sure I'm cured. But the AFP number means that I don't have a 100% diagnosis. They will be re-testing my blood and giving me CT scans every few months for the next couple of years to make sure. (which was the plan in any case) If the AFP continues not to rise, we'll know that's normal for me.

1 comment:

cyclefreaks said...

Good to hear but glad also that you will be keeping an eye on things. Gotta keep you healthy so you can teach Kaia about computers. :)