23 October, 2008

Yep, that seems about right

Ok, so I promise that this blog will migrate away from my health-related, depressing posts very, very soon...

I read this article in the NY Times yesterday. Apparently the FDA is investigating if the drug I take for my Crohn's (and other drugs in that class) causes a higher rate of cancer among younger patients.

I'd never given much thought as to what caused my cancer. In general, the medical community doesn't know what causes it. There are a couple of lifestyle factors that they believe can contribute (being overweight and a sedentary lifestyle), but other than that they have no idea.

I can't say that I didn't give a little thought to my Remicade possibly being a factor. But it's the only thing I've found that keeps my fistulas in check.

Anyway, I'm not sure how I feel about this. What's done is done. Maybe it was a factor, maybe not. But unless something else comes along, I'll be on this drug for a long time yet. I guess it's time to start aggressively searching for alternative treatments.

3 comments:

jcnemecek said...

Wow, I hadn't seen that article about Remicade yet. Thanks for the head's up.

I wanted to let you know that I'm running a contest to raise cash for the Crohn's and Colitis foundation at my blog. The prize is a $50 Amazon gift certificate.

I'd love it if you'd check it out.

http://jcnemecek.com/grosvenor/?p=445

http://jcnemecek.com/grosvenor/?p=445

Andia said...

Hey I just read an article about a women with Crohn's that started taking 2 1,000 mg of fish oil capsules everyday and it has basically cured her Crohn's.
Just thought you might want to look into that. I have IBS and I have had 2 attacks in the last two days and I am going to try them to see if they help.

greenGuru said...

I get my Omega-3 oils (the good stuff in fish oil) in a daily multi-vitamin I take. I know it's supposed to be good for everyone and especially Crohn's patients. However, I haven't noticed any immediate, appreciable difference. (but I'm sure I'm not taking 2,000 mg/day)