04 July, 2006

STS-121 Liftoff!!!

In the days before I was even born, the name "NASA" evoked images of what was best about America. It embodied everything about a group of the smartest damn people on the planet in a non-military contest with another country using the best of American ingenuity. It was the greatest of endeavours that everyone was behind.

These days, Shuttle launches barely make 2 minutes of the nightly news. Not for me. I don't care where I am or what I'm doing, I always make sure that I watch launches and landings live. Every time I see it, I still get chills up my spine. To me, the space race is still going strong. But instead of racing against the Russians, we are racing against ourselves. We still have so much to learn, and I hope we get to continue to reach for those things not yet discovered.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen. I used to have a giant poster of the Apollo 11 cockpit... sigh.

The other day, Steph asked me if kids still said they wanted to be astronauts when they grew up. I said probably not. Kinda sad, don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
»