23 July, 2006

Work, Work, Work

First, to dismiss a general misunderstanding. (Most) supervisors and managers aren't the lazy bastards that most people think. The general thinking is often that these people stopped working when they got their promotion and just delegate all of their work. Let me say that is very rarely true. At least from what I've seen (and am experiencing), most people in any sort of management have about twice the work that their direct-reports have and spend many more hours doing that work. (regardless of how infrequently they are in their office) The problem seems to be that management does a lot of work that doesn't have as tangible of results as their direct-reports. Therefore, the assumption is that they don't do much anything.

I've been getting more and more behind at work. Between that and my boss consistently riding my ass, it's been a very stressful last month or so. It got to the point last week that I said "if I have another shitty day, I'm quitting." Hey, I'm fairly employable, and I wouldn't mind getting out of the oil business. Right now, I probably won't quit anytime soon, but I think that within the next year or two I'll be looking for another job.

So, in an attempt to try and catch-up, I headed to the coffee shop relatively early today. I love my task list--I've already said that it keeps track of everything I need to do. (work and personal) However, lately, instead of hovering around 100 "to-do's", it's swelled to about 150. No matter how much I work, I can't seem to get it down any. I thought that a day away from the office and house would help. I've got quite a bit of lingering work done today, but 2 lattes later I'm up to 185. Damnit.

BTW: There's a fairly cute gay guy sitting across from me that I've been tempted to flirt with. That's until he spent the last 30 minutes on his cell phone and I got an involuntary glimpse into the drama that is his life and friends. [sigh] Where are all the normal guys?

2 comments:

Candice said...

Maybe he's having a shitty day too? Maybe you need to just take a chance?

greenGuru said...

Yeah, that would be one way. But, it's too late. I used the excuse to flee from taking another chance.